Here I am sharing the steps that will guide you to create a simple MS Office add-in using Microsoft Visual Studio. For further explanation lets take Visual Studio 2010 and MS Office 2010.
You must have the following items to be installed
- MS Visual Studio 2010 (You can also use 2005 / 2008)
- Microsoft .Net Framework 3 (minimum 2.0 up to 4.5)
- Office PIA (Primary Interop Assemblies)
Start creating add-ins
- Open MS Visual Studio 2010 > Select New Project > Other Project Types > Extensibility
- Now choose Shared Add-in project Template as shown above.
- Enter the project name and solution name in the appropriate fields and click ok.
Wizard screen will guide you following steps
- Press Next in the welcome add-in wizard
- Select the programming Language which you want to develop. (C#)
- Select the application host (Word / Visio / Publisher / Project / Power Point /Outlook / Info Page /Excel /Access)
- Enter name and description of your add-in
- Choose Add-in option
- Click the finish button to create new MS Office add-in and setup project for selected host application.
Two projects will be created automatically as follows
- Add-in project (CSSSampleAddin)
- Setup project (CSSSampleAddinSeup)
Add-in gets installed, which is highlighted in the screen displayed below.
Now you can start writing your code to build add-in menu in OnConnection() method of Connect.cs class file. Further you can setup project to create msi /exe which will help you to create add-in other machine.
Note: Await for my next post which will help you to create Ribbon menu in MS Office Word